Wednesday, January 3, 2007

Baker's Cabinet



This is one of my most recent furniture pieces that I have completed and distressed. It is a colonial baker's cabinet that I saw awhile back and thought the design was very interesting so I took notes and photos.

Here I tweaked the overall size and beefed up the top of the cabinet using 1 3/4 Pine.
When finished with construction, I stained the whole unit except the back boards.
I then distressed the entirel cabinet using a variety of tools, chains and rope to give it an older "used" look.
Then I finished the antiguing by painting the cabient with a colonial shading white, sealer and then cabinet makers blue.

I proceeded to sand and scrap the entire piece to show the differing layers.
Once I was happy with the look and attached the3 doors I appliedd several coats of a dark stained wax.
The boards on the back were antiqued differently first by using Liquid Plumber to age the pine and then a crackle medium was added before the antigue white was top coated.

The inside of the lower cabinet is painted farm house red to give it a more interesting feel to the piece and since it was completed it has garnered a lot of requests

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am very impressed with the quality of your work. Can you build / create something that I describe to you? Also, your distressing techinques are very interesting. What other methods do you use?

Ken Dubrowski said...

Hi Thanks for your comments. Yes I do work with people on making special units and furniture to fit their needs. You can see some examples of that on my website.

Most of the furniture on my site is from the collection of set pieces but I build a lot of pieces from suggestions from clients and I will try to include examples on this blog.

I also have been doing a series of blanket chests with some of my illustrations painted on them so what ever you need I should be able to build you a something unique.

As for the distressing techniques I use rope and chains which I wrap around the sides to wear down the pieces by going back and forth.

I also use a baseball bat and 12 inch post nails to round over areas and leave large dents in the piece to give it a worn look.