Monday, March 18, 2013

Hand Made Cherry Sea Chest

Just finished for a client on Martha's Vineyard is this custom made reproduction of a sea chest in solid cherry. The inside is lined with aromatic cedar to keep your fabrics and blankets safe from moths. The rope beckets are made by artisan Tim Whitten. Each piece is given a hand rubbed finish to give it a luster that last for years. The top and face are given a nautical detail and compass painted in enamels. If you would like one of these chests contact me to discuss your project.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice sea chest! Would you happen to have the plans for it and would you be willing to share them? I'm on my second sea chest; I'm making this one for my grandson who's in the Navy. One thing that has perplexed me is making the canted configuration. My difficulty is the front and back panels and cutting the top and bottom edges to compensate for the canted ends. For example if the 'cant' is say 5 degrees the leading edges of the top and bottom of the front and back panels should be cut 5 degrees as well. Well, when I did this the panels became narrowed or too short to fit with the ends. Is there a "rule of thumb" or a certain measurement for allowing for the cutting/trimming of the edges so they won't become too short? I hope you understand what I'm talking about :) Any help would be appreciated. I'm leaving my email so you might respond. Thanks in advance.
(jimshoe52@gmail.com)